10.11.2007

"Pretty Noises," A Pantoum for English 28D

My admiration welled up inside as she spoke:
Her mouth movements produced pretty noises.
My grin had become rictus; my eyes locked
To hers: they flickered as she read my face.

Her mouth movements produced pretty noises,
Still, on and on she went, until I pressed my lips
To hers: they flickered as I read her face.
Her expression was tired, a stillness hung expectantly, then

On she went, until I pressed my lips
Against my finger and she stopped truncated.
Her expression was tired, a stillness hung expectantly, as
She put her hand in mine. I could feel her warmth

Against my fingers and I stopped truncated.
It was over, all over. I understood.
She put her other hand in mine. I could feel her warmth
Leave, as she made for the door.

It was over, all over. I don’t understand
And then there was nothing, nothing. I wasn’t ready to
Leave, as she made for the door.
The pretty noises still haunt the rafters, and I still don’t know.

No comments: