8.29.2009

From The Symposium, Plato

"When a pregnant creature comes close to something beautiful, it becomes gentle and joyfully relaxed, and gives birth and reproduces. But when it comes close to something ugly, it frowns and contracts in pain; it turns away and shrivels up and does not reproduce; it holds the foetus inside and is in discomfort. That's why those who are pregnant and already swollen get so excited about beauty: the bearer of beauty enables them to gain release from the pains of childbirth."

1 comment:

Andrea said...

This passage in itself is beautiful. After reading Emerson's "Nature" my mind is overwhelmed by the thought of beauty. Is it weird that I feel like I know what bearing a child is like-- not giving birth, but holding something precious inside? I could label it a woman instinct but I know men feel it too. Of course I can't even come close to what it must actually feel like until I really do.